If you or your church is planning a Trunk or Treat - here are 6 terrific tips to have the best experience:
1. The number of trunks is most important. FBC Moreland has 75+ trunks - we want children leaving saying, "Wow, look at all the candy!" The number of trunks is the measurement most parents will use to determine if the event was successful.
2. Promote Jesus and other ministries at the church. Have trunks passing out Gospel tracts and fliers for other ministries (along with candy). One year we had a lady passing out toothbrushes along with candy!
3. Don't allow the children to grab the candy. You need to place the candy in children's bags, otherwise little hands will see how much candy they can grab. After 30 minutes, you'll need a refill.
4. Have people refilling trunks that are running low on candy. If your trunk runs out of candy, don't close your trunk and drive away. FBC Moreland buys $300+ worth of candy and asks for candy donations to refill the trunks that are out.
5. Children should carry a card around getting checked off after every trunk they visit. A few years ago - we had children making laps like it was the Atlanta Motor Speedway. Every trunk is numbered, when children arrive they receive a numbered card, once a child receives candy at trunk #1 - they receive a check on their card.
6. Bring a chair. If you're hosting a trunk, you'll be standing up for 2 straight hours.